Frequently asked questions

What are the requirements to get my license?


You will need to pass the Massachusetts Construction Supervisor License  Exam.  In order to apply for the exam you'll be required to provide documentation showing three years of full-time experience within the last ten years in the construction or design Industry.  This can be done through tax documents or  with a letter of attestation from a qualified individual.  For more detail go to 

Do I have to take a class before I take the exam?


There is no requirement for class hours before taking the Construction Supervisor License exam, however, the CSL exam questions are primarily about building code and you will need to learn how to navigate the code books in order to pass. 

What is the class like?


The class is focused on preparing your code books and giving you the skills needed to pass the test.  You will learn shortcuts, take notes, and set up your code books for easier and more efficient ways to look up answers.  We will go through actual test questions and practice methods for looking up code and the different ways you will find answers when taking the exam.

How big are the classes?


At Mass CSL Exam Prep we limit the class sizes to ensure everyone gets the best experience and understands the material. We want to be sure everyone passes and doesn't get lost in the shuffle of a large classroom.

What do I need for the class?


You will need the current building code books, the 2015 IRC and IBC along with the 9th edition of both Mass Amendments. These can be purchased through Mass CSL Exam Prep or you can bring your own. A pen, highlighter, and notebook are also recommended. 

What is the exam like?


The Unrestricted Supervisor Licence exam  is 75 questions long and the Restricted Supervisor License exam is 60 questions long.  Both are timed at 3 hours and require 70% correct to pass.  You will bring the approved code books to the exam, it is an open-book test. The test is not easy and without effort and prep work on your part, it will be difficult to pass.  

Frequently asked Questions Continued

CSL classes

Where and when do I take the test?

The test is administered by Prometric which has several locations throughout Massachusetts. During the class we will go over filling out the exam application and how to book your test date. You can book your test for right away when the classes finish or allow some time in between for practice.

What is the difference between Unrestricted and Restricted?

 With an Unrestricted License, you can supervise :

  • Buildings of any use containing less than 35,000 cubic feet
  • 1 and 2-family dwellings of any size 
  • Buildings or structures for agricultural use
  • Retaining walls less than 10' high (from base of footing to top of wall) 

With a  Restricted License, you can supervise:

  • One and two family dwellings with any additional accessory 

How do I sign up for the classes?


You can sign up here by clicking the Book Now button or call to register at 617-481-0403